Monday, March 4, 2013

The Year of the Hare

"Sometimes conceiving affection for an 
animal is easier than for a human."

The Year of the Hare could be described as a combination of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Into the Wild. In the novel, a journalist quite literally follows a hare into the forest after he and his photographer mate have accidently hit him with their car. There, he is awakened to what he has been missing in the materialistic life he has been leading and ventures further into the wilderness to explore life. There was undoubtedly a world portrayed that seemed normal as one was reading, but seemed to be just a wee bit topsy turvy once you set the book down and thought about what you had just read. It reminded me of the experience I have with dreams. When I am having them, things within them seem perfectly normal. But, when I wake-up I see dozens of incongruences. It also brought to the surface that wish that perhaps pervades all of our minds;

Although a book that I normally would not pick up, I am glad I went outside of my comfort zone and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment