Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Lovers Dictionary


ubiquitous, adj.

When it’s going well, the fact of it is everywhere. It’s there in the song that shuffles into your ears. It’s there in the book you’re reading. It’s there on the shelves of the store as you reach for a towel and forget about the towel. It’s there as you open the door. As you stare off into the subway, it’s what you’re looking at. You wear it on the inside of your hat. It lines your pockets. It’s the temperature.
The hitch, of course, it that when it’s going badly, it’s in all the same places.”  

There are some books that as I read them, I have to set them down, breathe and give myself a moment. It's not because they aren't up to par. It's quite simply because they're too perfect for me to be able to fathom how someone can put them into words just so. I have read certain passages of this book over and over again, put them down to let my mind rest and they still touch me in some way days after I have finished reading them. They seem to have a life and a pulse hidden behind them that keeps beating even after the book has been closed. It's because the words written in The Lover's Dictionary are the things that I have wanted to express for years, but have never been able to communicate in quite the right way.

The Lovers Dictionary is unique in the way it is written. It is not written in the form of a novel, but instead is written as a dictionary. At the beginning of each page is a word. Following that is a brief piece of prose that gives a small rememberance of a mysterious narrator's relationship with his love. Each word exposes a story or memory.  The Lover's Dictionary is incredibly short. Enjoy it all in one sitting or space it out.  Either way, you won't be disapp 

No comments:

Post a Comment