Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Am An Emotional Creature


"Dear Emotional Creature,

You know who you are. I wrote this book because I believe in you. I believe in your authenticity, your uniqueness, your intensity, your wildness. I love the way you dye your hair purple, or hike up your short skirt, or blare your music while you lip-sync every single memorized lyric. I love your restlessness and your hunger. You are one of our greatest natural resources. You possess a necessary agency and an energy that if unleashed could transform, inspire, and heal the world."



At the request of a friend, I picked up I Am An Emotional Creature written by Eve Ensler from the library and I am so glad that I did.

It is not easy to describe what genre exactly this pick is, but it can best be described as a collection of facts, monologues, poems, short stories and fictional letters written with every intention of empowering young girls to both find and speak their voices.

Sometimes you read a book completely by accident that reflects where you are in life and what is going on around you. This seems to be the case with I Am An Emotional Creature. This weekend I had the opportunity to attend Ready to Run, an annual Women's Fund of Omaha workshop that serves to prepare women interested in running for elected office. It was an incredible opportunity and if you have the chance I highly suggest that you look into it whether you plan on running or just want to understand how a campaign works. One of the things that has stuck with me since the workshop is the fact that so many well-rounded, confident, and beautiful women never feel as though they have the qualifications or ability to run for office because no-one has told them that they can.

Women across the globe live in a time when there are more of them than there are men and more girls than boys. They need to be told it is okay to be them. It is okay to speak up. It is okay to do whatever you want to do with your life, because you CAN do ANYTHING if you put your mind to it. They need to be told that they have support from all fellow women. This collection educates, sparks insight into what it is to be a girl today and with any luck will encourage both girls and women to unite and show to the world the power that we do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment